Benjamin R. Shimel, DDS, FACS
Meet Oral Surgeon Dr. Shimel
Dr. Shimel is a board-certified Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon (OMS) who was born in Vallejo and grew up in the Bay Area. Despite attending tempting interviews all over the country, Dr. Shimel decided to stay in the Bay area and completed his DDS degree at the University of the Pacific in San Francisco. He also completed his residency training at Highland Hospital in Oakland. From there, he served for two and a half years as Assistant Program Director of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at the Highland Hospital Residency and Assistant Professor at the University of the Pacific School of Dentistry.
Dr. Shimel is involved in organized dentistry both locally and nationally. He is currently serving as the Chair of Committee on Anesthesia and Committee on Exhibits in the California Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (CALAOMS).
Dr. Shimel is a full-scope oral and maxillofacial surgeon and is delighted to bring his cutting-edge surgical skills from academics to private practice. Having spent the past 6+ years working in academics, Dr. Shimel is excited to bring his skills to private practice where his interests in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery include incorporating cutting-edge technology to offer the latest advances in implant dentistry and reconstruction, as well as Orthognathic and Craniofacial Surgery at Children’s Hospital where he maintains privileges.
When not at the office, Dr. Shimel and his wife are enjoying the new addition to the family, their 7 month old son! When they aren’t taking care of him, they love to travel and always look for new restaurants to try. When Dr. Shimel has a spare minute, he enjoys projects around the house and cultivating a green thumb.
Dr. Shimel really loves the family feel of the office and is looking forward to many years of providing outstanding care to his patients.
- Saint Mary’s College of California, B.A. Integral Program of Liberal Arts, 2002
- University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry, DDS, 2013
- Highland Hospital, Resident, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, 2017
- American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Diplomate, 2019
- Corrective Jaw Surgery (Orthognathic Surgery)
- Pediatric Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Craniofacial Surgery
- Facial trauma and reconstructive surgery
- Dentoalveolar surgery including wisdom teeth removal
- Dental Implant Surgery
- Bone graft surgery
- UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital, Oakland
- Highland Hospital, Oakland.
- John Muir Walnut Creek
- Aspen Surgery Center
- Yu W., Park C., Shimel B., Oral Manifestations and Clinical Progression of a Rare Double-Hit B-cell Lymphoma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, [Epub ahead of print]
- Sun, H, Lin S, Shimel B, Park CM, Sharaschandra S. Vascular Floor of Mouth Mass with Unanticipated Intracranial, Orbital, and Vertebral Associated Involvements. Head Neck Pathol. 2019 Feb 13. doi: 10.1007/s12105-019-01017-1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Park C, Shimel B, Elo, J, Herford A, Odontogenic Infections (chapter 7) in Oral Surgery for Dental Students, Thieme, 2019